“Health is not just the absence of illness-but a state of wellness”
But what IS wellness and where do you find the state of wellness?
(as defined by Dictionary.com)
1. quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort.
Wellness: A dynamic state of health in which an individual progresses toward a higher level of functioning, achieving an optimum balance between internal and external environments. (defined by Mosby’s Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier)
Wellness: The condition of good physical, mental and emotional health, especially when maintained by an appropriate diet, exercise, and other lifestyle modifications. (defined by The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007)
So, again, what is the definition of wellness?
According to The National Wellness Institute: “The term wellness has been applied in many ways. Although there might be different views on what wellness encompasses, the National Wellness Institute – along with the help of leaders in health and wellness – shared many interpretations and models of wellness. Through this discussion, there appears to be general agreement that:
- Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential
- Wellness is multi-dimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being, and the environment
- Wellness is positive and affirming
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence.
- Process means that improvement is always possible…it’s about PROGRESSION, never PERFECTION!
- Awareness means that we are continuously seeking more information about how we can improve; meaning what brings us closer to joy, happiness and health.
- Choices means that we consider a variety of options and select those in our best interest. We ALWAYS have a choice and it is ALWAYS up to us as to the choices that we make.
- Success is determined by each individual to be their collection of life accomplishments; our ability to maintain and sustain our health and happiness.
So, while there may be no universally accepted definition of wellness and what brings wellness to one person may not always bring wellness to another; there is no ONE way to wellness. We are all unique individuals; however, I do believe that we all have an inner-knowing and intuitive ability to find our ways to wellness. We know, if we stop long enough to listen, we’ll hear our inner smiles and silent sighs when we go for a walk or have coffee with our friends. Here, I offer you a variety of ways for you to find your own NATURAL wellness through FOOD, FITNESS, and FORESTS – NOURISHMENT through NATURE, as I like to call it! At a certain level, this blog is just may way of organizing all the many things that I come across or read about that excite me! It’s like my own “Wellness Backpack” of things that are helpful for my wellness adventure that I hope you find helpful, too! Many of the posts and recommendations often come from outside resources. I will always give credit where credit is due! If you have something that you would like to share or would like to be a contributor, please let me know!
Not sure where to begin? Check out the 10 essentials and the steps to take on your way to wellness!
But, just be forewarned:
Many Happy Trails Ahead…
on Your Way to Sustainable Health & Happiness!
Don’t Get Stressed by ALL the miracle “cures” out there…just find YOUR Way to wellness today!